A Prayer to avoid Envy

Psalm 73:2-27

[2] But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;

    I had nearly lost my foothold.

[3] For I envied the arrogant

    when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

[4] They have no struggles;

    their bodies are healthy and strong.

[5] They are free from common human burdens;

    they are not plagued by human ills.

[6] Therefore pride is their necklace;

    they clothe themselves with violence.

[7] From their callous hearts comes iniquity;

    their evil imaginations have no limits.

[8] They scoff, and speak with malice;

    with arrogance they threaten oppression.

[9] Their mouths lay claim to heaven,

    and their tongues take possession of the earth.

[10] Therefore their people turn to them

    and drink up waters in abundance.

[11] They say, “How would God know?

    Does the Most High know anything?”

[12] This is what the wicked are like—

    always free of care, they go on amassing wealth.

[13] Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure

    and have washed my hands in innocence.

[14] All day long I have been afflicted,

    and every morning brings new punishments.

[15] If I had spoken out like that,

    I would have betrayed your children.

[16] When I tried to understand all this,

    it troubled me deeply

[17] till I entered the sanctuary of God;

    then I understood their final destiny.

[18] Surely you place them on slippery ground;

    you cast them down to ruin.

[19] How suddenly are they destroyed,

    completely swept away by terrors!

[20] They are like a dream when one awakes;

    when you arise, Lord,

    you will despise them as fantasies.

[21] When my heart was grieved

    and my spirit embittered,

[22] I was senseless and ignorant;

    I was a brute beast before you.

[23] Yet I am always with you;

    you hold me by my right hand.

[24] You guide me with your counsel,

    and afterward you will take me into glory.

[25] Whom have I in heaven but you?

    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.

[26] My flesh and my heart may fail,

    but God is the strength of my heart

    and my portion forever.

[27] Those who are far from you will perish;

    you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.

------------

Keep the Faith. Best regards,

Brother Ron, N.D.S.M.D.